calder valley 2.jpg
Original on Transparent.png
Frequently Asked Questions

Can I drive a motorhome on my car licence?

You can drive our motorhomes on a standard UK car licence.

Are there any restrictions on age or points on my licence?

You need to be aged between 25 and 75 with at least 2 years driving experience. Older drivers can be accommodated but may need to pay a higher security deposit. No more than 6 points for minor convictions (speeding) and no major convictions (drink driving etc) on your licence. No major accidents (involving claims above £5,000) in the last 3 years.

What do I get for the money?

The hire price includes the rental of the motorhome, including insurance. In addition to that you get all the cutlery and crockery, basic cooking equipment, cleaning kit, a microwave, a bike rack, an electrical hook up cable and hose pipe for refilling the fresh water plus a bottle of gas for the cooker (you don't need to replace this). The van comes with a full tank of fuel and needs to be refilled on return.

How old are your motorhomes?

Our motorhomes are typically under 3 years old, they are all owned outright by ourselves and we take great pride in presenting them in perfect condition. You will be given ample opportunity to inspect them prior to your departure to make sure you're happy. All we ask is that you return them in the same condition they went out.

Can I come and have a look at them before I decide?

Of course you can. You should call to arrange a visit and to make certain the ones you want to look at are onsite. We're open from 8:00am – 5:30pm weekdays and 9:00am – 12:30pm on Saturdays.

Do they come with tow bars?

None of them have tow bars.

Do they have bike racks?

Yes, they all have bike racks and we strongly advise you think about bringing bikes with you, particularly for the kids. The bike rack holds 4 bikes.

What MPG do you get out of a motorhome?

They're not the most aerodynamic but they do have 6 speed gearboxes. Obviously your fuel consumption will depend whether you're tootling around country roads or cruising down the motorway but on a typical hire you'll average 25 mpg.


Can I take it outside the UK?

Due to COVID restrictions our motorhomes are only being rented for use in the UK presently.

Do you have pet-friendly motorhomes?

Yes, we are pet friendly (maximum 2 well-behaved pets) There will be a small, additional fee of £50 for your pets. This fee includes a deep clean after use. We ask that your pets do not sit on the furniture.

Do your prices include VAT?

Our prices all include VAT, the price also includes comprehensive insurance for 1 x driver,  an additional driver can be added at £50.

Do we have to replace the propane gas we’ve used?

You will use gas for cooking and if you’re not in a campsite with an electrical hook up, you will also use it to power your fridge, hot water and central heating. You will start your hire with two bottles of propane gas on board, one will be full and the other is part full. This should be more than sufficient and the cost is included in the price of the hire.

Can I fit child seats, do they have Isofix?

None of the motorhomes have Isofix fastenings (the clips that many child seats bolt into) but they do have proper seat belts in the back so you need to ensure that your child seat can be fixed using just a seat belt.

Is there a minimum number of nights for a booking?

Outside of the high season the minimum hire period is 3 nights, you can take it for less but you will pay the equivalent of 3 nights hire. During the high season July and August, the minimum price is the equivalent of 7 nights. We do release shorter hires to fill gaps on occasions so keep an eye on the price and availability area of the website.

Is there a limit on mileage?

Not officially, we work on roughly 1,000 – 1,500 miles per week maximum. This should be ample. We prefer to discuss your destination and planned route in advance and agree a fixed amount if you’re going exceed this, particularly on shorter hires.

Is breakdown cover included?

Yes, all our motorhomes are covered for breakdown and recovery across the UK.

How do I make a booking?

You can either use the website: pick your proposed dates and click 'Submit Request' just follow the prompts, fill in your personal details, choose any optional extras you'd like, this will be emailed to us. We will then need to confirm a few things over the phone, we will endeavour to contact you by phone and email within 24 hrs to confirm the booking.

Alternatively, you can call us during office hours (8.00am – 5:30pm Mon – Fri & 9:00am – 12:30pm Sat)) and we can take your booking over the phone 07900 630731. We will request your driver contact details, licence number and National Insurance number.

How much does it cost to reserve a motorhome?

We take £250 per week on booking, the balance of the hire needs to be paid at least 6 weeks before your first day of hire.


How much notice do you need to give?

During the kids summer holidays we get booked up quickly with hires typically running Saturday to Saturday each week. During July and August, you need to book well (months) in advance. Out of season hires can be booked last minute depending on availability but we need at least 24 hours’ advance notice.

What time can I collect my motorhome?

Depending on availability, we offer Monday to Saturday collections and returns (No pick up or return on Sundays or Bank Holidays). Collection is typically from 3pm on the first day, we will arrange a more specific time with you in advance, on occasions it may be possible to collect earlier but don’t rely on this.

When do I need to return it by?

Unless agreed in advance, all motorhomes must be returned by 11am on the final day of hire. This is particularly important in the high season when we have very tight turnaround times.

Can I leave my car with you?

No problem, we have secure parking on site but we cannot accept responsibility for damage or theft.

What do I need to do before the day I collect?

We will ask for proof of your Driving Licence and 2 other forms as proof of address with your name and address on them. (utility bill, bank statement, council tax bill etc.) These should be dated within the last 3 months. We will also ask for a DVLA code. The code is used to access the DVLA database to check your driving licence information. You can get a code by clicking You will need your Driving Licence number, your National Insurance number and the postcode on your driving licence. Once you have the code you can let us have it to verify your licence. The code lasts 21 days. 

What do I need to bring with me on the day?

Drivers will need to bring their driving licence and a credit or debit card (in their name) to pay the security deposit. Security deposits are taken on the day of hire, everything else is paid in advance.

How do security deposits work and when do I get the money back?

Standard security deposit on a UK licence (staying within the UK) is £500. This is typically pre-authorised on a credit or debit card. The money does not leave your account but will be ring fenced by your bank. Provided the motorhome is returned in the same state it was when it left, it is full of fuel, the toilet is empty and clean, none of the utensils are missing and it is generally clean and tidy you will receive your full deposit back. Unless a deduction needs to be made, we aim to get the deposits returned within 7 working days. Whilst the money is ring-fenced we do not hold it, your own bank may need chasing if the pre-authorisation has not been released within 7 working days.

How do you deal with damages or losses?

We want you to have a great time but you need to be fully aware that you are responsible for the motorhome and its contents. Accidents do happen and unfortunately things do get broken. Due to their lightweight design, they are pretty flimsy, remember they are made out of fibreglass not steel so when you hit something you will come off worse!

Likewise, the internal fittings are lightweight so also delicate, please go easy and never try and force anything.

We are completely transparent when it comes to charging for damage repair, we try to make it as painless as possible but there will be some extra costs. We charge you for the cost of the replacement part and the admin time it takes to source it, send it and fit it.

What are the most common things that get broken?

• Window blinds and window stays
• Door locks (they are made of out of plastic inside so be gentle)
• Roof lights and side windows, do a quick check they're shut tight before driving anywhere, they will blow open and off!
• Wing mirrors getting clipped by oncoming vehicles (particularly vans).
• Waste taps and pipes underneath (they’re very low so often get knocked off on bumpy tracks)
• Bed slats getting snapped if they're stood or knelt on or jumped up and down on!

What happens if I have paid my initial booking fee (£250 per week) in advance but then have to cancel before I have paid the balance ?

The initial booking fee is non-refundable. However, if your motorhome is re-rented to someone else, for the full period that you had originally booked, we reserve the right to return the initial booking fee pro rata, minus a £50 admin fee. We will always offer you the option to postpone the booking to a later date and use the advance booking fee as a credit against that hire.

What happens if I've paid in full but then have to cancel?

We will offer you the chance to postpone the booking, this is subject to availability. All payments (other than the security deposit) are non-refundable. Holiday insurance cover is advised to safeguard against this possibility.

I've never been in a motorhome before how does it work?

Many of our customers are first timers, don't panic. Everyone gets a thorough handover and instructed on how everything works before their hire starts: hot water, heating, control panels, gas and electric, bed making. It's a lot to take on so we provide you with easy to follow guides (with pictures!). By the second night you'll be doing it like a pro. If you get stuck the best thing to do is ask someone in a motorhome on your campsite, they'll be only too happy to help. If you're really stuck, you can always call us during office hours.

Where can I stay in my motorhome?

Provided you are on private property and you have the permission of the landowner to park there, you can park pretty much anywhere and sleep. Don't park on the side of the road, you will likely get moved on in the middle of the night. Your best bet is to plan a route and book into somewhere official. There are hundreds of campsites and caravan parks around the UK. These range from farmers’ fields to purpose built resorts but do check if they can accommodate motorhomes of more than 6 metres long. In the summer months’ book well in advance, particularly around July and August time.


What is your policy regarding smoking in a motorhome?

We operate a no smoking policy in the motorhomes.


Are there different speed limits for motorhomes and if so what are they?

Motorhomes are subject to the same speed limits as cars unless their weight exceeds 3.5 tonnes, or they exceed 8 passenger seats.
The Caravan Club has produced a table of general European speed limits here:


Does the fridge work even when you're not plugged into an electrical supply?

The motorhome is completely self-sufficient in terms of hot water, fridge freezer and heating this can all be run off the gas. The internal lights run from the on-board leisure battery. This can be recharged whilst driving or by plugging into a 240v connection at a camp site. Please note, if you're not hooked up to the mains, the microwave and plug sockets in the van WILL NOT WORK. If you are going to be wild camping for several days without the ability to hook up, you might consider hiring one of our petrol generators as these will recharge the leisure battery.

Watch this video showing you how to work the heating using the control panel.

Watch this video showing you how to work the hot water heater using the control panel.